Friday 6 November 2015

Of worries and problems... and that one Friend


I board a Metro Shuttle hurriedly trying to beat that 8 o'clock deadline to clocking in at work.

As usual, I look for a seat by the window; I love me some cool air, all the time. I hate it when I have to keep requesting the person seated by the window to "please fungua dirisha kiasi"; pleas that are always answered with mean looks and in worst case scenario, being ignored. I giggle and plug in my earphones.

Luckily today, I get an empty seat by the window and gladly make myself comfortable. I glance at my watch; 7 minutes to time. I panic. I'm tempted to assist the 'kange' in calling out for "wawili wa haraka" so we can start the ride to Westy.

"Just why is it that when I'm in a hurry, the mat takes forever to fill up? It should be full already!" I complain to no one in particular.

I'm looking outside the window; people-watching; something that I've come to love lately. Short, tall, dark, light skins, you know, name them. It gets me thinking. Where are all these people headed. Of course, most of them to work. But still...

So I take turns to do role plays. Identify one person, analyze them and think what their name is, where they could possibly be working, and what position. Are they married? snobs? boring? would we 'click' with them? I know! I didn't think I'd do that at times. Oh well. Try it. It's an awesome distraction as you wait for "wawili wa haraka"

My chain of thought is disrupted by a lady who sits next to me. She is a bit bigger than me so she over laps on to my seat, her heavy arms resting on my shoulder and arm. I'm pissed. I give her that mean look. She doesn't flinch. So I'm like "eeiiish madam" and it finally gets me a "sorry". Am cool peoples so I smile and squeeze myself to accommodate my new 'friend'.

We finally leave the stage. By my watch, 5 minutes are gone already, am left with 2 to go. There's no way I'd hack.

Maina and King'ang'i aren't making my situation any better! Saying how they get to work early and how lucky they always are not being caught up in the morning rush! Just perfect!  My phone volume is at max but they got nothing on these JBL speakers on this 'nganya' blaring Classic FM, as always. I give up, unplug my earphones, rest my head on the window and start my daydream.

I get back to my new 'hobby'. As I scan through the throngs of people pacing about the streets, my eyes rest on this old man. He is walking slowly, due to age probably, with his walking stick guiding his way. He looked homeless, or so I thought. He has to keep his balance as he makes his way through the fast moving, shoving crowd. His left arm wrapped in dirty tattered bandage, with a sling over his shoulder. He makes several stops in front of each of the stalls asking for money. Stretching out his green cup slowly, trying to hold still amid the shaking.

It gets me thinking. Where could his family be? Did he even have one? Kids?What could have led him to the streets? Has it been the case all his life? In pity, I wondered. I keep on these thoughts and many more dragging me to how we all have problems. Young people being unemployed, those employed seeking for greener pastures, faulty and broken relationships, failing marriages... list endless. We all have a burden we are carrying. That which keeps at you almost all the time. You try to forget about it but it somehow finds a way to creep back to your head.

I alight at the Westlands stage. I'm not even perturbed by the 8 o'clock deadline anymore; I mean, I was late already. I saunter to the office bogged down with my own concerns and worries. I feel a little worked up with the situation. In life, there's always something that we wish and want to change but we cant. A disloyal friend, a nagging neighbor, mean people, headaches, and petty stuff like biting your tongue during meals or worse, hot tea burns. damn! There are worse though.

I'm approaching the office and I have to slip in unnoticed. I call my partner in crime, they come in handy these ones. She doesn't pick though; I was alone on this one. Roho juu, with a killer excuse ready, I head for the door. Just as I was about to grab the door handle, the door flung open and I froze. My worst fears were confirmed. The man himself, my boss, right in front of me! I went blank.

He was on phone so he walks past me and I dash in. How lucky can I be? I cross my fingers hoping he will be busy with work and it'll slip his mind. And then again, I was just like 11 minutes late, so...it wasn't thaaat bad.

"Hi Janet?" I greet our janitor as I make my way to my desk.

"Hey Phill, how are you?" You are early today!

"Right?!" I exclaim; wishing my boss would hear that. Ha ha

I log in ready for the days work. Janet is busy cleaning up, whistling a tune. I pause to gather what song she was jamming to... "What a friend we have in Jesus"

Wait; well, I know the song, at least the chorus, but I don't really know how all the verses go. I google up the words.Ooh... bliss! Check this out:

  1. What a friend we have in Jesus,
    All our sins and griefs to bear!
    What a privilege to carry
    Everything to God in prayer!
    Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
    Oh, what needless pain we bear,
    All because we do not carry
    Everything to God in prayer!
  2. Have we trials and temptations?
    Is there trouble anywhere?
    We should never be discouraged—
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.
    Can we find a friend so faithful,
    Who will all our sorrows share?
    Jesus knows our every weakness;
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.
  3. Are we weak and heavy-laden,
    Cumbered with a load of care?
    Precious Savior, still our refuge—
    Take it to the Lord in prayer.
    Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
    Take it to the Lord in prayer!
    In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
    Thou wilt find a solace there.
  4. Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
    Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
    May we ever, Lord, be bringing
    All to Thee in earnest prayer.
    Soon in glory bright, unclouded, There will be no need for prayer—
    Rapture, praise, and endless worship
    Will be our sweet portion there.

There it was. A simple prayer and comfort; for all your worries and problems.

I smiled.

2 comments:

  1. And here I am thinking that I'm the only crazy guy who takes adventure at giving adjectives to faces on the street as I stroll to the stage smiling.... Awesome flow and... Oh What a Friend we have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. we are quite a number bro... thanks, i appreciate. N yes, what a Friend!

      Delete